The category of ‘gifts for mum’ is such a large and varied one — in contrast to the relative scarcity of gifts for dad — that choosing her a birthday gift can seem like a dauntingly vast undertaking. Outside of the Mother's Day cycle, where does one look when the most important woman in your life needs treating? Without guidance, it can seem an impossible task. Instead of facing the endlessness of the internet's gifting options alone, read on: we've conspired with a series of GQ's writers and editors to come up with a list of the very best gifts for mum.
What are the best gift ideas for mums?
The flower delivery service may be your first port of call when shopping for mum, and we wouldn't blame you a jot. Brands such as Bloom & Wild, Flowerbx and Appleyard Flowers are all goldmines for the gifting search, with many offering add-ons such as candles and vases to bulk out your order.
On the subject of home accessories, pleasantly-scented ornaments — candles and diffusers chief among them — rarely miss: try Jo Malone, The White Company or Neom for starters. Another one of our failsafe choices also concerns the home: silk sleepwear such as pyjamas or a wrap-around eye mask have the prestige of a luxury gift without the price tag of one.
Mum already has all the flowers, candles and silk pyjamas she could ever have need for? Try Kiehls or Clarins for skincare, Noah's Box or Cast for crafts or Charlotte Tilbury and Trinny London for make-up.
Need something quicker? Here are our top picks.
There are myriad flower subscription services to hit when you know that a bouquet will be the gift your mum's really after: Appleyard, Flowerbx, Freddie's Flowers and even Selfridges are all favourites of ours. But for a consistent and high quality subscription gift that'll keep on giving, Bloom & Wild is our pick.
A food gift for mums with a sweet tooth, Mon Dessert's subscription facilitates the creation of extraordinary desserts: kits start from £10 and provide everything your mum will need to whip up her own crème brûlées and chocolate hearts.
Smooth and flattering, Lululemon's leggings have achieved cult-like status for gym bunnies and athleisure fiends alike. The perfect gift for mums that covers off fashion and health in one fell swoop.
- Best overall gift for mums: Bloom & Wild flower subscription, from £60 at bloomandwild.com
- Best self-care gift for mums: The White Company cashmere socks, £36 at thewhitecompany.com
- Best gift for crafty mums: Sculpd wall art kit, £60 at selfridges.com
- Best gift for active mums: LuluLemon flare yoga pants, £88 at lululemon.co.uk
- Best gift for baking mums: Mon Dessert subscription, from £10 at mondessert.co.uk
- Best gift for mums with a sweet tooth: Hotel Chocolat Velvetiser, £99.95 at hotelchocolat.com
- Best gift for sentimental mums: Paint Your Life portrait, from £189 at paintyourlife.com
For more fashion, grooming and technology releases delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for our GQ Recommends newsletter.